Auto technology major Bosch has designed a new automatic emergency call system for motorcycles. It is named Help Connect, using intelligent crash algorithm. The system automatically sends emergency alerts to emergency services in the event of an accident. Bosch says the system can help halve emergency services response time. The system is currently available to customers in Germany. It works with the help of the app, riders can also save their medical history and emergency contacts in it.
How does Bosch Help Connect work?
- The Bosch Help Connect system has an ‘intelligent crash algorithm’ installed in the inertial sensor unit of the motorcycle. The system works with Bosch Motorcycle Stability Control (MSC) which measures acceleration and angular velocity a hundred times a second. When the motorcycle crashes, the system detects a sudden change in the motorcycle’s speed and angular position, and automatically sends alerts to emergency services via the Bosch Vivatar smartphone app.
- Help Connect sends the rider’s precise GPS location and other details to the Bosch service center, which deals with emergency services. Riders can save details of their medical history or emergency contact on the app in the app. Having the location and medical records of injured riders beforehand, has the potential to reduce emergency response time.
- Bosch says the algorithm is sensible enough to distinguish between a serious accident on the road that the motorcycle has crashed or parked. Another advantage of the system is that it does not require a separate control system and can easily integrate with the internal sensors of the motorcycle. The system connects to Bosch’s app via Bluetooth, but more importantly, an app owned by a motorcycle manufacturer can also be integrated with the system.
Where is it available?
- Bosch has, for now, introduced the Help Connect system for customers in Germany.
- The company reported that in that case, when customers have an accident in European countries outside of Germany (Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom), the system with the Bosch service center Will be able to connect, which will inform local emergency services about the accident. Naturally, the system will only work with motorcycles that already have the required internal measurement units and MSC features.