French Aeronautical engineer Edwin van Rubabbe has created a bug-like robot ‘Metaphlai’ which looks like a genuine flying insect. It flies in the air through a special synthetic process ‘biomimetics’ which makes it feel natural.
This robotic insect weighing 10 grams ..
- Metaphalai is able to fly fast and slow in the air. It weighs only 10 grams. Its length is just 7.5 inches, which becomes 11.4 inches wide on the wingspan.
- It can fly up to a height of 100 meters. Its top speed is 18 kilometers per hour.
- Meta-fly can be controlled with two channels remote. It can be seen in the video that it is a crash-proof robot.
- Its wings are made from carbon fiber, liquid crystal polymer and oriented polypropylene. Its front legs and back bumpers protect its body.
- Its coral motor, which is equipped with aluminum heat sinks, controls its movements. The hybrid lithium battery attached to it supplies power to the motor.
- It takes only 12 minutes for the battery to be fully charged. It can fly for 8 minutes in single charging. Its special powerbank has the capacity to charge it about 20 times full.